Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day 38: Union, SC to Orangeburg, SC – October 21, 2008


House 2008 10 21_2477, originally uploaded by rhanke.

Miles: 127 Miles
Ride Time: 7 hours 24 minutes
Avg. Speed: 17.2 Mph
Total Climbing: 6,813 feet
Work: 4621 kJ

The cold snap in the south continues and this morning we faced another 32 degree start. We were on the road by 7:45 and it must have been two hours before it started to warm up. South Carolina has more forest then I expected so most of the morning ride was surrounded by trees. The roads did not have any sun to warm them up until at least 10 am.

forest 2008 10 21_2475

To stay warm I rode hard in the morning and had a large lead on the others. I usually ride with the Colorado team but today I rode by myself. It is much harder without the pace line but I can look around a lot more riding on my own. I did not take a lot of photos since it hard to see the forest through the trees. Even though the landscape is pleasant it does not have anything that grabs your attention that needs photographing. Just a constant stream of trees, fields and houses.

Horse 2008 10 21_2476



We had to cover 120 miles today so it was a long ride on my own. For the last 30 miles Sparky road with me since he caught me while I stopped at the second lunch stop. He did not ride yesterday since he had food poisoning from dinner the other night in Asheville. It was good to see him able to ride this afternoon. It would be terrible if he was still sick and not able to ride the last day.

Sparky 2008 10 21_2485

Tomorrow is our last day. We have just over 100 miles to go to Charleston. It’s hard to imagine that we just started a little over 5 weeks ago. It seems just like yesterday when we were in the California desert.

No comments: