Sunday, October 5, 2008

Day 22: Enid, OK to Ponca City, OK – October 5, 2008


sunrise 2008 10 05_1906, originally uploaded by rhanke.

Miles: 73 Miles
Ride Time: 4 hours 11 minutes
Avg. Speed: 17.5 Mph
Total Climbing: Unknown – could be about 2000 feet
Work: 2171 kJ

Day four of our fight with the Oklahoma wind appeared to be a battle. We awoke to the wind blowing as fiercely as it was at noon yesterday. Normally our mornings had provided us with minimal wind but it was already blowing at 20 mph this morning. Looking at the flag blowing like crazy next to the hotel as the sun was rising did not do much for my confidence. But as we started out the wind was not as much as a factor. After warming up for the first 10 miles at a slow pace the Colorado boys, minus Hollywood, and I decided it would be better to ride at our pace and try to finish early. We formed a three person echelon to combat the cross breeze from the south as we headed east. We only stopped once before lunch to take in a sunflower field. This field was welcome relief form the endless hay, corn and sorghum fields.

Gary and Sunflowers 2008 10 05_1914 Dave and Sunflowers 2008 10 05_1913



The three of us were using the whole lane for our echelon and sometimes the oncoming lane when the road was bad. Since today was Sunday they were not many cars on the road. The road turned bad but then we turned North and the wind propelled us down a gravel road at 25 mph. Dave led the way which gave Gary and me the confidence to follow. I have never gone so fast on a gravel road before.

A turn back to the East put us within 5 miles of lunch. Once I spotted Bones in front of us I picked up the pace to 25 mph since it was NASCAR Sunday and Ricky Bobby was warmed up and ready to go. Dave made a joke which made me hurt from laughter and they dropped me.

Lunch was in the parking lot of a giant gas station.

Lunch stop 2008 10 05_1920 Lunch at the Gas Station 2008 10 05_1919

Once Gary had replaced his battery in his bike computer we were on our way. I think Gary didn’t trust us to tell him when his turn for pulling was up; which we may have done once or twice but never intentionally.

For most of the ride after lunch we had a tailwind as we made our way north to Ponca City. We passed a huge oil refinery just out side of town.

Gary in the refinery 2008 10 05_1921 refinery 2008 10 05_1923



About a mile from the hotel we ran into the first road biker we have seen in Oklahoma. I think he was surprised to see another road cyclist as we were. He rode over to us and we told him all about our trip and he told us about his cycling adventures in Oklahoma.

John from Ponca City 2008 10 05_1924

I think the people in Oklahoma are the friendliest people I have ever met.

I am certainly glad I am seeing America from bicycle. We reached the hotel shortly after 1 pm. This makes the score now 2-1-1 in my favor. I wonder what the wind will do for tomorrow on our final day in Oklahoma.


Today’s photos at Flickr.
All Photo sets at Flickr

No comments: