Monday, September 22, 2008

Day 8: Seligman, AZ to Grand Canyon, AZ - September 21, 2008 -

Grand Canyon 2008 09 21_1222
Miles: 107 Miles
Ride Time: 6 hours 33 minutes
Avg. Speed: 16.3
Total Climbing: 6010 feet
Work: 3592 kJ

I don’t think you could have had a nicer day then today. It started out at breakfast at Lilo’s Westside Café where the plates of food were huge. I could only eat a third of it. Temperature was cool in the morning so I had to wear arm warmers and wind breaker. Heading out on Route 66 we passed through fields yellow wild flowers that made the fields look magical.

Soon we were climbing the first pass of the day which topped out at 5700 feet. This is the highest we have been so far on this trip and I found myself short of breath a little. Next we got on Interstate 40 for 20 miles to Williams. The freeway was not as bad as I feared since the shoulder was extra wide. The climb to Williams went on for 18 miles which we finally topped out at 7200 feet.

Williams had a lot more stores then the other towns on Route 66 with some of them extremely cute. I loved the old pink Falcon in front of one of the old dinners. Outside Williams, a few miles, we eat lunch next to the Kaibab Lake. This was one of the most scenic spots we have had for lunch on our Trek Trip so far.

After lunch we had 60 more miles to go to the Grand Canyon and we were blessed with the strongest tailwinds. I was hitting 40 miles an hour in spots and going up little hills at over 25 mph. I had never gone up hills before at this speed. It was a blast and the guides could not remember a time they had it so good. I almost beat our guide to one of the break areas before he reached it.

We rode next to the rim just before reaching our hotel.
Grand Canyon 2008 09 21_1235

I write more about the canyon tomorrow since we have a rest day here which will allow us to explore it more.

Photos from today will be found on Flickr once I'm able to post them.
All photos from this trip can be found here.

No comments: